Friday, November 15, 2013

"You Are Going To Die ..."







In Language Arts class, we are reading The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak.

Click here to read some of The Book Thief!
This book is very, very unique because Markus makes Death the narrator of the story! 

While reading, I feel as if Death actually has his or her's own feelings.  Also, he or she actually has arms and legs according to the book. Here is some text from the book:

"Please again, I ask you to believe me.
I wanted to stop. To crouch down.
I wanted to say:
'I'm sorry, child.'
But that is not allowed.
I did not crouch down. I did not speak" (13).

Does this mean that as Death he cannot speak?  Or does that mean that his job is just to take the soul and leave?

Also, it is shown that Death has arms AND legs, just like you and me!

"Twenty-three minutes later, when the train was stopped, I climbed out with them.
A small soul was in my arms" (8).


Another part I was wondering about the book was...

Why did Markus Zusak decide to use Death as the narrator?

Well, here are a few ideas why in a short YouTube video!
























If you're still wondering WHY he chose to use Death as the narrator, feel free to click here to see an interview speaking with Markus Zusak and about his books!


Okay, that's about it for this week!  See ya next week! (:






No comments:

Post a Comment